Sunday, February 3, 2008

Great Salad and Spaghetti

The other day my son was quite ill.... but, on Friday nights, we always celebrate shabbat, so I wanted to make sure we still had something to eat for him. So, of course we had challah, grape juice, etc... but for dinner I made J (almost 5) spaghetti (he didn't want rice - and plain spaghetti works when he isn't feeling well)....

I also made a great roast chicken (my standby for Friday night dinner - and for quick dinners during the week when I get home from work) and salad for hubby and daughter A (18 mos)...

So, here is the recipe for the salad and chicken...

Note to everyone - I don't measure a whole lot when I cook - but I read lots and lots of cookbooks and have specific recipes for certain things, so unless otherwise mentioned - it is to taste. My dad, for instance, likes LOTS of pepper (he is a FABULOUS cook) - me, not so much....

Roast chicken with parsley, lemon, garlic and onion

Ingredients
Chicken (3-4 pounds)
Italian Flat Leaf Parsley (about 1/2 bunch - trim off ends of stems)
1 small onion cut in half
1 lemon cut in half
1 whole bulb of garlic cut in half across
1 cup carrots
2 tsp kosher salt
Pepper
2-3 tbsp olive oil


1. Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Clean, rinse and pat dry chicken and put in roasting pan breast side up.
3. sprinkle 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste inside chicken, also about 1 Tbsp of olive oil - rub on inside of chicken.
4. Take onion, lemon, garlic and parsley and stuff inside of chicken.
5. Sprinkle top of chicken with remaining salt and pepper and olive oil - rub into chicken together (make sure you get all the parts of the chicken, including under the wings)

** Now, I know there is lots of debate as to whether or not to tie the chicken. I have done it both ways - and I like the fact that it is very "neat" looking when you tie the legs and wings. However, with 2 kids underfoot, I find it easier to simply let things go where they want to. If I am having lots of people over, I will often tie the chicken - or if there is a stuffing inside that I want to serve. Either way you prefer works fine.

6. Scatter carrots around the chicken (you could also add celery, parsnips - whatever - this is what I had on hand on Friday afternoon).
7. Put in oven and bake for approximately 1 1/2 hours or until juices run clear (I usually set the timer for 1 hour 15 minutes - check the temp - then determine if it needs more time).

About basting... I sometimes baste - sometimes I don't. Again, when I didn't have kids -this was much easier to do. I have found that because we use a kosher chicken, the method of roasting works pretty well - skin is crisp - and breast is juicy. If you want to baste - please do!

I made a quick gravy from the juices in the pan - after I removed the chicken and the carrots (hubby really likes to eat those) - I simply poured some leftover chicken stock into the pan and stirred with a "slurry" (1 tbsp flour mixed with 1-2 Tbsp water) over the heat of a burner. YUM!

Now - for the salad -

Ingredients

1 bag baby spinach - rinsed in ice water and dried in paper towels
1 bulb fennel - cut in half and sliced thinly
1/2 can chick peas (garbanzos) - rinsed
1 cup (or more if you like) - grape tomatoes

Dressing (I didn't measure this since I make dressing almost every night - but this should be about right... if you like it more acidic - add more lemon juice - if you like it sweeter, add more honey)
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp honey
1 tsp kosher salt
pepper to taste
2 tsp garam masala (indian spice mixture)
2-3 tbsp olive oil.

Mix together lemon, honey, salt, pepper and garam masala in bottom of bowl. Whisk in olive oil to make dressing. Put spinach, chick peas, sliced fennel and tomatoes in bowl and toss gently with dressing.

Also - for those that are wondering - I also made some jasmine rice and grated some lime zest into it before I served it....

Happy eating! And have a great week!

No comments: