Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Watermelon, Mint, Chive and Feta Salad

My daughter came home last week very excited.  They had made salad with "sheep cheese" at pre-school.  Yes, you heard me - salad at pre-school.  Anyway, apparently this salad had watermelon and sheep's cheese and some things they mixed together (according to my 4 year old).  They chopped things and mixed them, then tried them. I was able to coax most of the ingredients out of her (she told me she didn't like tomatoes) - and every day she bugged me to make this salad with her.  So we did!  Both kids tried it - I loved it.  Here is my interpretation of a classic Greek watermelon salad (is watermelon Greek?)

Watermelon, Chive, Mint and Feta Salad

1 small seedless watermelon - cut up in chunks
3 oz good sheep milk feta cheese - crumbled
2 Tbsp chopped chives
2 Tbsp chopped mint leaves
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tsp Kosher Salt
1 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper

1.  Whisk together olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper.
2. Gently mix everything together with the vinagrette.

YUM!  This will keep for a day or so in the fridge - but is best served right away.  Also, you could substitute balsamic for the apple cider vinegar and add in some chopped tomatoes. 

Enjoy!!




No comments: