Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Carmelized Apples, Onions and Leeks

Last night I had bigger plans for dinner than I was able to pull off.  I had originally thought I would have time to make a brisket, etc. etc...  As it turns out, the kids had bagels and cream cheese, yogurt, bananas, etc.

But! I did have time to make a quick salad for me and Jay.   I roasted some cored and quartered apples with quartered onions and leeks (cut into about 1/2 inch coins) for 40 minutes at 400 degrees.  They were tossed with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.  Then I scraped all the carmelized onions and apples and put it on top of a salad of frisee, baby greens and chopped romaine for some crunch.  A bit of vinagrette - and sliced baguette and voila! Light dinner.

This would also be terrific with some crumbled goat cheese for a more substantial salad - or as a side dish. 

Have fun! 

No comments: