Monday, October 12, 2009

Sauteed Shredded Brussel Sprouts and Apples

I know.

You are thinking - brussel sprouts? Really? But, when you either take the leaves apart or thinly "shred" the brussel sprouts and then saute them in some olive oil and a bit of salt and pepper - they take on a whole different texture and flavor.

Tonight I got back later than expected from the office. The kids had been home all day with Dad because it is Columbus Day and of course they had off (health care does not close on CD). So as I was driving home I stopped at the local grocer to see what kind of veggies looked good. And honestly, the brussel sprouts were beautiful! Small bright green heads of mini cabbage goodness. So - with a few of those and some apples the kids picked earlier in the Fall, I concocted my plan. Pasta. Easy. Apples and parmesan - always a good combo. And cabbage (I like to think of the brussel sprout as a baby cabbage) and something sweet like an apple - classic.

So - here it is:

Shredded Brussel Sprouts and Apples

I tossed this with enough spaghetti for 2 adults - kids "tried" some (there was plain spaghetti on the side) you can increase the amounts of veggies/etc. to toss with a lot of pasta - or you can serve this as a side dish (if you do this, I would not add in the parmesan - that was more for the spaghetti mix...)

Spaghetti - Cooked/Warm
4-5 brussel sprouts - cut in half through the core and thinly sliced or "shredded"
1 apple, cored and sliced thinly
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
1/4 cup grated parmesan

1. Heat olive oil in pan.
2. Saute brussel sprouts and apples until wilted and slightly browned/carmelized.
3. Add pinch of salt and pepper
4. Toss with spaghetti
5. Add in parmesan cheese and mix together.

Serve it up!!

2 comments:

Dustin said...

tried this last night, my wife and i absolutely loved it, very easy and quick, makes a great vegetarian dinner - thanks for sharing

Dani L said...

Dustin -

So glad you enjoyed it! I have done this one a few times now - we love it!

Dani