Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Roasted Mustard Salmon

Despite being really crazy at work, I have had time to cook for the family. What I have been relying on are old standbys that the husband and kids love - they come out great every time and are quick and easy.

As I have written about before, my husband does not love fish (his love for tuna from the can boggles my mind). However, he does love salmon and this way in particular.

Some things to note.

1. When I buy fish, I buy fresh not frozen, and I usually buy on the same day I am making the fish. I usually go to Whole Foods (or some other store that is very clean - I am a bit obsessive about this point) and look for what is on sale, then talk to the fish guy about when it came in, quality, etc. This way, I get the freshest, best fish I can.

2. Fish should not smell fishy. Really. This is how you know it is fresh. It should have a slightly oceany smell but not very strong (like tuna from a can for instance).

3. I usually ask for a center cut and ask that the pieces be of the same size and thickness. This way, they all cook about the same time. Also, I ask them to remove any pin bones and depending on the fish, the skin. Some people like the skin - so up to you.

Roasted Mustard Salmon

1 side salmon
1 tsp olive oil
2-3 tsp dijon mustard - enough to put a thin layer on top of the salmon
salt and pepper
1 tsp herbs de provence or thyme

1. Preheat oven to 425. Or preheat broiler.
2. Place salmon in roasting pan or on tray rubbed with olive oil. Smear mustard on top of salmon so it is all over the top. Sprinkle with herbs and salt and pepper.
3. Put in oven for 10-12 minutes or until it is pink through and flakes. (Fish will continue cooking after you remove it from the oven - so best way to check is simply to stick a knife in and see if it is almost evenly pink throughout. If it is, pull it out. If you like it more rare, cook for less time.)

That's it!!! There are lots of variations on this. Sometimes I mix some breadcrumbs or panko with the mustard and put that on top. Sometimes I stick some slices of lemon underneath. Sometimes I put parmesan cheese on top of the mustard. They all work.

No comments: