Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Teriyaki Salmon and Raves by a Five Year Old

Tonight I made a quick dinner of teriyaki salmon, basmati rice and steamed spinach (I had shredded carrots for the kids). Here was J's reaction - "I LOVE Salmon Mommy! This is delicious! Thank you for making such a wonderful dinner for us! I am only going to eat the salmon, rice and carrots - but I LOVE it!"

Yes, it was a little over the top and dramatic - but what do you want - he is five. And drama tends to run in our family!

So what was this terrific salmon? Try this one - it is easy and terrific. Of course, get the best salmon you can. I always buy fresh fish from Whole Foods or a fish market - just is better.

1 lb of salmon (I used 1 side)
1 cup or so of your favorite teriyaki sauce (I use the San-J organic.)

1. Place salmon on tray with high sides, skin side down. Pour teriyaki sauce over so it is covered. Take a piece of saran wrap and tightly cover the salmon. "Marinate" for 30 minutes.

2. While salmon is marinating, preheat oven to 350.

3. Remove saran wrap (a key step...).

4. Put tray with salmon and marinade in oven. Roast for 8-12 minutes depending on thickness, until salmon is flaky.

Enjoy!


reheat oven to 350.

4 comments:

Veronica said...

You know, if I had known this was on the menu, I would had come over. I think I need hands on help.

*wink*

Actually, I need a husband who likes salmon.

Dani L said...

I would be delighted to help!

Jay doesn't "Love" fish - but I can get him to eat it if it doesn't taste like fish!

Marty said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marty said...

Ahhh

Why buy Teriyaki Sauce when the best is right here. This is the best that I have ever made. It also help if after marinating you let the marinade dry on the food about 30 minutes before cooking. It then allows the sugars to caramelize during cooking.

So easy to make:

INGREDIENTS:
• 1 cup soy sauce
• 1 cup Sake
• 1/2 cup Mirin (sweet rice wine)
• ¼ cup Brown Sugar
• 2 Tbs. Fresh Ginger Grated (Use the micoplane)

Blend together until sugar is dissolved or heat until sugar is dissolved.

Holds up great in the frig for a few days.